The Making of a Baby Quilt

My girlfriend had a baby boy in April. Here’s the quilt I’ll be making for him this weekend. The one-year rule applies to new babies too, right? The quilt will finish at 36″x51″.

Focus fabric:

Coloured fabrics:

Estimated yardage from EQ7:

The block is super simple, finishing at 5″ square. The black strips are 1″x5″, the coloured centre pieces are 3″x5″. If you are making this yourself, add 1/2″ to each measurement for seam allowance for your cut pieces. I’ll be strip-piecing the yardage, then cutting the blocks at 5.5″ as one unit.

I’m really glad I took the time to draft the quilt out in EQ7 with the focus fabric. I was originally going to use it for the blocks too, but hated it once I saw it.

Off to cut some fabrics and start stitching. The first I’ve done in a month.. hope I remember how!

Updated: The Making of a Baby Quilt – Part 2

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon

Download Five FREE Quilt Block Tutorials:

Five Free Block Library Tutorials

Stay in touch ... Join my NEWSLETTER:

This post was published on June 25th, 2011. Post topics: My Quilting Journey.

9 Responses to “The Making of a Baby Quilt”

1. Deborah says:

This will be stunning, Michele!!! Love the fireworks fabric. Can’t wait to see it finished.

I recently had a book passed to me called “Hearts and Hands, The Influence of Women & Quilts on American Society.” Have you read this one? I’m really enjoying it.
    Happy Quilting!
    Deborah

2. cityquilter grace says:

OMG! i love those fireworks!

3. Connie says:

What a great pattern Michele! I agree that the black is much better as a background. Don’t you just love EQ! Might have to put this one on my list. Thanks for sharing.

4. This is so cute. I love my EQ6, haven’t gotten 7 yet, but it is so nice to be able to play around with colors and settings. Be sure to post pics of the finished quilt.

5. Angie says:

That’s going to be cute! :) I think it will be a nice surprise. Who wouldn’t love a new quilt ……makes it more special since it will be given directly to the baby instead of before the baby is born. ;-)

Angie

6. Barbara says:

That is going to be a stunning quilt! Can’t wait to see it finished.

7. Karen Wilson says:

I think the one year rule definitely applies. I didn’t finish the baby quilt for my own baby till she was 5 months old!!

8. Lynn McCandless says:

I love this…. I must get a girl blanket made for a neighbor’s unborn child. I plan to get some bright pink fabric the first part of next month when I make my doctor’s appointment which is very near JoAnn in north Austin. One good reason to go to the Dr. office. LOL

9. Harvey says:

Good luck friend!! I hope the baby enjoys lying on this quilt.

Comments are now closed for this blog post.
Need help? Contact me!