Here’s the wedding quilt I made for my friends that were married this past summer.
I used the Disappearing Nine Patch design (also called the Charm Square Quilt). I started with 12 fat quarters, which I cut up into 5″ charm squares, made the nine patches and cut them in 1/2. The finished block unit is 7″. I added a 1″ sashing, following by the 2″ (or 2.5″?) squares and a 3″ black border.
For the quilting, I first anchored each 7″ unit, by stitching in the ditch with black thread. Then I did the large diagonal cross hatch through each unit and into the borders using Superior Rainbows thread in the top and Bottomline in the bobbin.
I used one of the fancy stitches to secure the binding and add colourful interest (stitch #16, length 0.25, width 5). I love the way the binding turned out. This is the first quilt I’ve done where I’ve been thrilled with the binding results. You can bet I’ll be using fancy stitches to secure it from now on… hehe.
And of course, completed the quilt with the label blanket stitched to the back.
While it is a simple design, this is one of my most favourite quilts that I’ve ever made. I’m glad it has a good home.
Stay in touch ... Join my NEWSLETTER: