Caitlin and Harry’s Wedding Quilt

Here’s the wedding quilt I made for my friends that were married this past summer.

caitlin-harry-quilt

I used the Disappearing Nine Patch design (also called the Charm Square Quilt). I started with 12 fat quarters, which I cut up into 5″ charm squares, made the nine patches and cut them in 1/2. The finished block unit is 7″. I added a 1″ sashing, following by the 2″ (or 2.5″?) squares and a 3″ black border.

For the quilting, I first anchored each 7″ unit, by stitching in the ditch with black thread. Then I did the large diagonal cross hatch through each unit and into the borders using Superior Rainbows thread in the top and Bottomline in the bobbin.

I used one of the fancy stitches to secure the binding and add colourful interest (stitch #16, length 0.25, width 5). I love the way the binding turned out. This is the first quilt I’ve done where I’ve been thrilled with the binding results. You can bet I’ll be using fancy stitches to secure it from now on… hehe.

caitlin-harry-binding

And of course, completed the quilt with the label blanket stitched to the back.

caitlin-harry-label

While it is a simple design, this is one of my most favourite quilts that I’ve ever made. I’m glad it has a good home.

Posted: October 17th, 2008

Topics: My Quilting Journey, Quilt Gallery

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Caitlin and Harry’s Wedding Quilt”

1. sandy says:

BEAUTIFUL quilt ….. many wishes to the happy couple.

2. Penny Globe says:

Nice quilt Michelle. You have very lucky friends.

Penny Globe
    Ottawa (too)

3. Amanda Ryan says:

What a lovely colourful quilt. Isn’t it great to have so many stitches on the modern sewing machines, I use them a lot, especially on small wall hangings.

4. Michele says:

What a truly lovely quilt! I think it was your use of these beautiful jewel tones that has added a huge aesthetic punch to this quilt. I just love absolutely LOVE it!!!

Thank you ladies for your very kind words about my quilt. I must admit, this one was difficult to part with. I’ll just have to make myself one… hehe. I did get a small table runner and a fabric basket for myself out of the same fabric. I’ll post those later this week.

Thanks again,
    Michele

Michele, It’s beautiful! The colours really stand out on the black. I was intrigued by the touch of colour on the binding, so I was grateful you took a close up of it. Well done. Congrats to your lucky friends.
    Sandie

7. Susan says:

Love these colors, so rich. I have used the Disappearing 9-patch pattern, it is a lot of fun.

8. Mischele says:

The border treatment is unexpected, serendipitous, and creative. Great eye candy. Way to go!!

9. Amy says:

Thanks so much for your post, and what a beautiful quilt!! I love the strong and homely colors you have chosen. the black border really works well with them.
    .-= Amy’s latest post: The A to Z’s of the Wedding Cake Topper World =-.

10. [...] = {"data_track_clickback":true};var addthis_options = "facebook_like,twitthis,google_plusone";My girlfriend had a baby boy in April. Here’s the quilt I’ll be making for him this weekend. The [...]

11. [...] The theme for this week’s quilt contest is Nine-Patch Galore Quilts. I’m looking forward to seeing all of the fabulous quilts made with this very popular, dare I say THE most popular, quilt block. I know the Disappearing Nine Patch is a very popular pattern made from nine-patch blocks cut in halves. You may enter these quilts in this week’s contest too. I adore this design, here’s one I made a couple of years ago. [...]