Earlier in the summer, I shared with you the plan I had for a baby quilt I was making. See the first post here: The Making of a Baby Quilt. I finished the quilt a while back and the baby now has it to cuddle under as the days get colder up here. Since I can’t enter this week’s Quilts for Babies contest, I’ve been saving this post to share this week.
Coloured strips were cut at 3.5″ and the black sashing at 1.5″. I attached the black sashing strips to the coloured strips then subcut the strips into 5.5″ squares. I needed 9 squares of each colour.
Stacks of blocks ready to be sewn into rows, based on my original design. I used scrap pieces of freezer paper to mark my rows.
The quilt top piecing all done:
I used Crayola washable markers to mark a diagonal grid on the coloured rectangles. These pieces finished at 5″x3″ and the lines were drawn at 1″ increments.
I stippled the sashing with a dark grey thread, Aurifil #2630 in 50wt. For the blocks, I used a primary-coloured variegated thread, Aurifil #3817 in 40wt. I loved using the dark grey thread on black fabric. Not only was it much easier to see while stitching, I love how it added just a hint of sparkle to the quilt.
Quilted and bound:
I backed the quilt with flannel.
Here’s Baby Quinn .. it was too hot to actually get a photo of him with his quilt the day I saw him.
Download My FREE Gift for You:
Stay in touch ... Join my NEWSLETTER: