Scrappy Bed Quilt in Progress

I have been working on scrappy blocks for a new queen-sized bed quilt for myself.

I started with 320 paper templates, cut at 5″ from an old phone book.

scrappy_blocks

Testing the layout of 16 squares (trimmed to 4.75″) on the design wall. Need 20 of these blocks that are 17.5″ unfinished.

scrappy_layout

Auditioning the 20 blocks before sashing.

scrappy_audition

Close-up of the blocks.

scrappy_close-up

Eventually it will become this:

possible-bed-quilt

Finished size will be: 93″ x 113″.

August 15, 2011 – Part two: More Progress on My Scrappy Bed Quilt

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon

Download Five FREE Quilt Block Tutorials:

Five Free Block Library Tutorials

Stay in touch ... Join my NEWSLETTER:

This post was published on October 11th, 2010. Post topics: My Quilting Journey, Quilt Gallery. Post tags: .

26 Responses to “Scrappy Bed Quilt in Progress”

1. Vicki W says:

Ooooh, I love the way you are going to sash it!

2. Lee Ann L. says:

Wow! Just have to say that the quilt is going to be GORGEOUS when it’s completed. Also, I’m loving the idea of reusing pages from a phone book as “templates”. So, thank you for sharing that! :-)

3. Anita says:

I like this very much. The sashing is beautiful.

4. Valerie says:

Hi there Mishka, this looks so good, I love scrappy quilts and this pattern I’ve always wanted to try. I love the final setting you’ve chosen, nice job I cant wait to see it finished :)
    Valerie

Thanks Vicki .. 3 yards of fabric just for the sashing… definitely the largest quilt I’ve ever made.

Thanks Lee Ann … the phone book paper is a bit messy when you are tearing it off at the end. Thankfully it didn’t bleed though or transfer to any of the fabrics. I tested it first, just in case.

Thanks Anita!

Thanks Valerie! Sadly, it did not make a big dent in my scrap bin.

6. VickiT says:

WOW! You have done a beautiful job on that so far. I bet you’ll be so excited to put the very last stitch in that quilt and put it onto your bed. I would love to do something just as beautiful myself.

7. Susan says:

This is going to be a beautiful quilt! The sashing will be perfect to show off the blocks. Keep us posted on your progress.

8. sheila says:

What a fabulous quilt. I love it but I wouldn’t put the sashing in (only because I have a thing about straight lines on quilts)
    But is going to look great probably have to recorate the bedroom as well lol.

9. Lovie Ball says:

I love making string blocks, great way to use up my scraps. Like the triple bar sashing you have picked.

10. Pamela says:

Wow, that sashing really makes the blocks pop! I’ll have to remember that for my next scrappy quilt!

Yeah Michele! You’ve been working hard to get all those blocks done! I like how the dark (black) fabrics stand out. When you put the sashing in it will really pull together.
    Sandie

12. Sharon Scott says:

Love it! I am doing a similar one using selvages. My own pattern, making it up as I go along :)
    But I love yours, the colors are amazing.

13. Sharon Scott says:

I am going to start one like it, using my scraps, and dryer sheets as the foundation, just love this!

14. Anita Westerveld says:

Michele, it looks stunning, what a fantastic idea!!!

Sharon: Let me know please how you make out with the dryer sheets. I’m curious how stable they will be. I will admit working with all those bias edges was quite a challenge. I starched and ironed the blogs a lot once they were joined. Once the sashing has been added they’ll be much more stable.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. :)

16. Norma says:

Michele,

Your quilt is lovely!

17. Karen Lange says:

Your quilt is going to be gorgeous! I love all the colors and patterns and can see some of the ones that I also used in my ongoing string project.

What a mess my sewing room has been the past two days…. I was going through ALL of my scraps for another project, when I came across many strips and then remembered MY strings! I had made about 30 (9″ or so squares)…then when we moved, I had packed them away and didn’t touch them till now! So, today, I made several more. Will lay them out soon. Will probably make a lap sized quilt or for a wall hanging!

Karen

18. Lindy Weber says:

There is a richness imbued in scrappies…Once our quilt club made a VERY scrappy log cabin for a charity auction. Several members were mummering at the start of the evening, “This will never work”, as we had five people making blocks by grabbing blindly from the lights bag and a darks bag. The rule was, “You grab it? In it goes!” By the time we finished the top everyone in the group mourned that it would go to charity-and not home with them! It was stunning. :?)

19. suzy quaife says:

A beautiful job – so bright and cheerful!

20. Sandy says:

I love the colors and design. I will have to put this one on my list of “have to do’s”.

21. Amy says:

This is going to be so beautiful, and such a wonderful reminder of all of your great fabrics.

22. When I think of scraps, my mind immediately thinks about String Quilts. I haven´t done one yet but yours has been a true inspiration. The phone book hint is fantastic.Thank you very much and happy quilting.

23. freemanor says:

Hi Michelle:
    Love your quilt. I love the way you are finishing it off. I just finished a twin size extra long but it is not finished so nicely. That arealy makes it. I use blocks of old sheets to make them on, which gives it extra warmth. My aunt always backed her log cabin blocks with pieces of old sheeting. The next one I try will copy your idea
    . Thanks,
    freemanor

24. Shannon says:

I love string blocks! I like your sashing to set off each kaleidoscope

25. freemanor says:

I love the way you finish your quilt off. I do make that scrap quilt. I don’t use any Usually sew them on a backing, (old sheeting,material I don’t like etc. I usually cut old sheeting into 13″ blocks and just sew strips diagonally.I trim them down to 12″ so they will all be the same. My next one I am going to try your idea.

Freemanor

26. Liz says:

love it and you used a phone book pages for the paper how smart of you!

Comments are now closed for this blog post.
Need help? Contact me!