Aiming for Accuracy Quilt-Along: Fabric Requirements

aiming-for-accuracy-banner

The Aiming for Accuracy quilt-along (QAL) was held in the Summer/early Fall of 2013. The lessons, blocks and detailed photo tutorials have been removed from this site and are now available for sale as a complete booklet.

Find out more about it here: Aiming for Accuracy Booklet.

a4a-booklet

I’m so excited to finally share with you the fabric requirements for the upcoming Aiming for Accuracy Quilt-Along. I’ve been busy the past week, finalizing the design, figuring out the math, doing several test blocks, and planning out the lessons. The quilt finishes at 58″ x 82″ and contains 30 blocks and a few single units.

Here are a couple of pages from my QAL notebook:

qal-notebook

Here’s the final design:

aiming-for-accuracy-qal

This is a complex design, in terms of planning, but not in the actual sewing and putting together. I consider this to be an advanced beginner’s quilt. However, no need to be overwhelmed, as the most complicated unit is quarter square triangles. The entire quilt is pieced, no paper piecing, no y-seams and no partial seams.

Skills needed include the ability to accurately sew a 1/4″ seam allowance and accurate cutting so that the puzzle-like design will fit together correctly. I will be providing step-by-step photo instructions for each lesson and tips along the way too.

Fabric Requirements

• 6 yards of assorted prints (see additional note below)
  • 3 yards of contrasting fabric (see additional note below)
  • 3/8 yard for border squares or (64) scrappy patches cut at 2.5″
  • 5/8 yard for binding (with a 2.5″ cut width)
  • 3 3/4 – 4 yards for backing (see additional note below)
  • 66″ x 90″ batting (allows for 4″ extra on each side)

Assorted prints: The 6 yards represents 24 fat quarters which will give you a good variety of prints to use. You will have some leftovers, but they can be used for the backing. You should be able to get by with only 20 fat quarters, but you’ll have to be really careful.

Contrasting fabric: I’m using black for my QAL version. I’m also working on a test version with 1930s prints where I’m using white. I’ll share photos of this version in a couple of days. You need a good contrasting fabric so that the design stands out.

Backing fabric: The yardage is based on having a middle scrappy strip that is approximately 10″ in height. If you don’t like/want this strip, and need help figuring out the yardage for a 58″ x 82″ finished quilt, let me know and I’ll update the measurements to make the best use of your fabric.

If you need help deciding on your fabrics, please post a photo in the Flickr Group or the Facebook Group and I’ll provide comments.

Here are my fabrics:

my-fabrics

I’m using Pat Sloan’s upcoming line, Bobbins & Bits. Thank you to Moda Fabrics and Pat for allowing me to play with these beautiful fabrics. I’m just in love with the batiks from this collection. The red diagonal will be used for both the border squares and the binding.

Pat’s also quilting along with us and she’ll be using the cotton prints from the same line shown below. The fabric will be available later this summer, be sure to ask your favourite local retailer to order it now.

Pat Sloan fabric for sew along v1

Pat Sloan fabric for sew along v2

For my test version, this is the fabric bundle of 1930s prints that I chose from my stash. This is a busy collection, but I’m happy with how it’s turning out. I’ll share photos of this version of the design in the next few days.

1930-fabrics

More Quilt-Along Info:

The official quilt-along will get started June 20th, 2013 and last 16 weeks. However, if needed, I will add another week to the schedule to allow participants to catch up before the last four weeks when we start joining all the bits together. Additionally, there will be two other upcoming posts: June 6 – Recommended notions & products for improved accuracy and June 13 – Beginners’ tips and cutting instructions for background (contrast) fabric.

I have planned the lessons so that we complete the largest blocks, that use the most fabric, first. With Lesson 9, I’ve started to repeat fabrics already used in other blocks and balance my colours, as needed, for an overall cohesive look.

Everyone can join the quilt-along and the lessons/tutorials will be available for free until October 31st. I’ll be creating a booklet with all of the lessons at the end.

There will be weekly prizes!

Wanted: I’m looking for some lovely quilting-related prizes for the upcoming quilt-along. Patterns, quilting notions, fabric, gift certificates, all would be much appreciated. You’re responsible to ship directly to the winner (could be world-wide). Email me please!

Quilt-Along Links:

Stay connected: Subscribe to our Newsletter

learn-to-quilt-large

81 Responses to “Aiming for Accuracy Quilt-Along: Fabric Requirements”

1. Debbie says:

I’m trying to decide if I should do this one now or later, have a lot of other things that need done first!!

2. Wow, the anticipation for the quilt-along is building. I’m clearing out my scraps to make room for the upcoming Aiming for Accuracy Quilt-Along and have blogged about it: http://www.deliasquilts.com/blog/patriotic-chickens/. Thanks to all for the learning pages on widgets–I had no idea it was that easy! Thanks to Michele Foster for all her hard work! xx

3. Carol says:

I am going to quilt along with you, but will have to start in mid-July after all my commitments are cared for. Hope to catch up quickly! I love the design.

4. Carol says:

I did put the Quilt Along link on my blog.

5. Carol says:

I did put the Quilt Along link on my blog a few weeks ago so others could learn about it. :)

6. susie wheeler says:

post it

7. Cathy says:

I don’t blog, but I shared on fb and even recruited for others to join in.

8. Terri says:

can’t wait to get started!

9. susie wheeler says:

ready.can’t wait to start. to go

10. Sandy Lynch says:

Trying to decide between a stack of purple/orange batiks, or yellow/blue baticks. Or maybe a real scrappy look.

11. Terri Neely says:

This is sooo fun! First time QAL! I guess I am an advanced beginner quilter, but I am addicted! I am setting up my sewing room… so excited!

12. Anne Hollebeke says:

Have never done an online project – this will be my first time.
    Another first for me, making a quilt from my 30’s stash!
    So anxious to be a part of this group!

13. Maribeth Barnello says:

I’m pretty sure I will be using purples and blues with either light green or yellow sashing/background.

14. Elaine says:

I have been so excited about this QAL that I have shared it a couple of times on my blog but didn’t see the button until today-done!

15. Christine Morris says:

I’m a little reluctant to make the first cut for the borders and background. A couple of times before I went ahead and made cuts THEN was told there was a mistake in the measurements. Just for my own piece of mind I may hold back 1 week….Yes I’m a bit gun shy on cutting under another persons direction….But I’ll get over it. :o)

16. Sharon Andersen says:

My fabric is washed, starched, cut and ready to go!! So excited!!! :)

17. Linda Mc says:

Oh no! I will miss the 1st lesson while traveling, but will be excited to begin and catch up as soon am back!

18. Sharon Andersen says:

My fabric is washed, starched, cut and ready to go!! So excited!!! :)

19. Janice says:

I have blogged about this quilt along. I can’t wait to get each set of instructions. I have done the first cuts. I just need to label them and put them in baggies. I am sure after a few weeks I will be glad I took the extra time to stay organized. Thanks for the tips.

20. Charo says:

I put a link in my blog. I’m so excited to start this quilt along

21. Beth Werrell says:

I don’t have a current blog, but I shared the information on Facebook as Beth White Werrell!

22. Beth Werrell says:

I have promoted this exciting quilt-along on Facebook, with the logo. Here is the link:

23. De says:

Hi Michele, I have finally managed to get a blog post up! This is going to be so much fun! Thank you for all your hard work and inspiration. I have just completed lesson one yesterday!

24. Kathy G says:

I just finished a quilt top and am ready to join your quilt-along. You can find my blog post about it here: http://sunshinesews.blogspot.com/2013/06/aiming-for-accuracy-quilt-along.html

25. Tracy says:

I just found out about the Quilt along and I’m super excited to start it :-) I just added the link to the quilt along on my blog and I’m off to my quilt room to get started. Happy Quilting!

26. Marianne says:

I am loving the look of your quilt along and plan to get started ASAP! Thanks

27. Dianna Whitehead says:

Hi! I shared it on fb and I tweeted it, as I do not have a blog! This is going to be so much fun!

28. Jess says:

I love the more flowery fabrics.

29. victoria says:

I was wondering how many different patterned fat quarters you would reccomend buying because i was thinking of buying them individually rather than in a bundlethank you in advance