My Next Scrappy Project

A couple of years ago, Susan Snooks entered this fabulous quilt in one of our Weekly Quilt Contests.

Susan Snooks

I immediately fell in love with it. It’s a perfect scrappy quilt. Susan’s quilt was adapted from a design she found in an Australian quilt magazine several years ago. She’s not sure who the original designer was.

Susan was kind enough to share her measurements for completing the blocks with me and gave me permission to share them here with you too.

For each block, you’ll need:

(13) 1.5″ squares (medium to dark in value)
(4) 1.5″ x 3.5″ rectangles (light in value)
(2) 4.5″ squares, cut diagonally to yield four half square triangles (medium to dark in value)

Once pieced, the block is squared to 7.5″ unfinished. It’ll be 7″ finished once sewn into the quilt top.

I have been cutting scraps for this project for quite a while now.

cutting-fabrics

fabric-bin

Creating the centre mini nine patches is my next leaders and enders project. These little babies are 3.5″ square before adding the sashing strips to finish at 3″.

I created a test block to make sure I had the measurements correct:

my-first-block

I’ve named this quilt already, The Ultimate Scrappy Quilt. Each block has 19 21 pieces! I’m looking forward to working on it over the next several months.

Care to join me? Are you up for the challenge?

Thanks Susan for sharing and inspiring me. I have no doubt this will become my favourite quilt.

Posted: June 23rd, 2012

Topics: Free Projects, My Quilting Journey

26 Responses to “My Next Scrappy Project”

1. it looks like a great one to use up some scraps, and I do have some of those!

2. Carla says:

Wow! That’s a lot of piecing. Should bust a few scraps!

3. Sharon Scott says:

Sounds like fun! Count me in!

4. Karin says:

Me likes, me likes! And I don’t usually care for scrappies!! This one has enough lights to rest my ole eyeballs!

5. Not only is this attractive, but it fits my scraps; I never have enough lights when the lights make up a background. This allows for more medium lights than many patterns do, and I also like the proportion of dark to light.

Thanks for sharing!

6. [...] A great use for small scraps [...]

7. Tony says:

Me likey the quilt, however Susan’s storage boxes are more organized than mine would ever be. I am so jealous! 8-)

Those are my storage bins .. have been working hard to tame my scraps and get things organized in my sewing room.

Michele

9. Deanna says:

Oh, I am in for this one, too. It will be a little while because I have two leader/ender projects going right now, but I would LOVE to give this quilt a try. Thanks for sharing.

10. Actually I wouldn’t mind joining you at all! I just about have all of my scrap stash in to one area.
    You have a big jump headstart on the cutting.
    I’m going to save this just in case.
    I actually bought a book at the quilt shop this month called Quilted Gifts from your Scraps and Stash. There are several projects in it that I want to get going on.

11. Sally says:

sounds like a plan! Have to save all my 1930s 1 1/2″ scraps for another project, but everything else at 1 1/2″ can go in this one

12. Connie says:

What a great quilt for using up all those scrappy pieces! It is going to be awesome, I like the name too!

13. Teresa says:

I love this and have many scraps with strips cut at 1.5″ that could easily be cut into squares! I just may be up to this one, too! How many squares do we make for a complete quilt? Just need to know how many of each I need!

14. Carol says:

Let me check to see how many 1.5 inch squares I have. Don’t cut too many that small. I could use a new leaders and enders project. Wonder if I could re-do the measurements to accommodate 2 inch squares. Have plenty of them.

15. Mattie Sweat says:

I loved your quilt, it was really something I would like to make. I like all of the dark bright colors. I would love join all of you in making this quilt.

16. Great idea, Mishka! I’ve started cutting up my scraps and get another leader/ender project going too.

17. Liz says:

This sounds interesting. I am a bit bored doing strippy scrap quilts and often I do not have enough long strips.

18. WizCuz says:

I love it!! Gonna have to make one of these babies!! But as I’m prone to COUNT things…..it doesn’t have 19 pieces, it has 21 pieces! Even MORE exciting! (I suspect that the “19″ came from counting the number of pieces on the “need to have for 1 block” list, forgetting that the larger squares were going to be cut in half for the corners) So….let’s see….21 pieces times a boatload of blocks = a bazillion pieces!! Wheeeee!!!

LOL .. you are right, 21 pieces .. I didn’t count the 4 HSTs correctly. Have fun making this beauty.

20. Ruth Robinson says:

I am going to give it a try!!

21. Lyndsey says:

I am definitely up to try this. In fact I am going to have a go at making the block tomorrow evening.

22. Denise Lacerte says:

oh love this scrappy quilt. I may have to put other things on hold and get into cutting some small pieces for this beauty. I’ll start picking fabrics later today and start cutting strips tomorrow. Need to finish yard work today, and cutting/stitching tomorrow early before hubby wakes up. This should be tons of fun, and exciting to see everyone’s scrappy quilt afterwards. :)

23. Denise says:

Love It to. I’m.

24. I would love to jump in and join you on this adventure but I really need to finish a couple of quilts before jumping in. And, knowing me, I’ll forget all about it… hum maybe a note on my calendar in 6 weeks would be a good reminder. And, I think I’ll make mine with 2″ blocks since I cut that size but not 1.5″ blocks. Good luck everyone.

25. katherine says:

I like your project, I’m from Costa Rica and I would like to know where I can get such beautiful fabrics like yours to buy online

26. […] block comes from a tutorial by Michelle Foster–maybe you would like to try it […]