Strippers

Last weekend, I was inspired by this quilt top that Victoria was sharing the progress of on Facebook. Well, inspiration, a wet & rainy weekend and a need to stitch this is what I have so far.

I dug out my bin of strips/strings…

my-box-strings

Cut 5″ pieces from the strips, ran out of fabrics, cut more .. repeat several times. Had to raid the charm box for more pieces to cut up and add some variety.

5 inch pieces

Making progress, needs to be BIGGER:

strip-progress

Ok, now we’re getting somewhere, 10 columns and it’s 45″ wide x 70″ long.

strippers

Needs two more columns to bring it up to 55″ wide. I’m thinking a 1″ inner border in light grey and 2.5″ outer border in darker grey. Still thinking about the borders, not sure I’m in love with the light grey inner border. What do you think?

possible-borders

What’s left of my strip bin .. not much!

left-overs

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon

Download Five FREE Quilt Block Tutorials:

Five Free Block Library Tutorials

Stay in touch ... Join my NEWSLETTER:

This post was published on June 9th, 2012. Post topics: My Quilting Journey. Post tags: .

32 Responses to “Strippers”

1. Barbie Kanta says:

Yellow!

2. Barbie Kanta says:

Yellow! for inner border

3. Francine says:

I like Barbie’s idea a thin yellow border and then how about no wide border?

4. Barbie Kanta says:

I still like the outer border, the yellow will give the eye a place to move from color to color, (and give it spark) and the darker gray a place to rest….

I probably have enough yellow strips left in the strip bin for the inner border. It’ll be a bit scrappy, as there are 3 or 4 different yellows. Not sure I have enough yellow yardage to make the binding, and not enough of the dark grey. Maybe black for binding.

6. Kathy says:

I see this differently. How about a 2″ inner border in a multicolor polka dot (w/black background), then a solid color 3″ border. The binding could be in black. I tend to use polka dots and stripes alot for either small inner borders, or for the binding. Ties the whole scrappy quilt togethr.

7. BJ says:

Yes, black for one of the borders or binding. There is enough black in the strips to make everything pop. I love this strippy quilt!

8. LisaG says:

Lovely quilt but more importantly I think i-spy the Janome Horizon that I covert :)

9. Jo says:

Way fun! I’m doing the same thing using my strips as leaders. While i work on a quilt with a pattern, this one is growing. Don’t have as many columns as yours, but isn’t it fun? I’m kind of liking Kathy’s border idea….hmmmmm

10. Love the strips in this quilt , I would go with black, a dark green or dark purple , I think darker inner boarder make a better quilt .

11. Debbie says:

A scrappy binding would be great with the grey border. Use any and all strips for the binding…just join them all together. As for the inner border, a darker value of one color will stop all the movement. You don’t have to use the same fabric but I would stick to the same color. I make lots of these scrappy coins for donation quilts….they are always a hit.

12. Very cool! I have to say, I don’t care for the grey. I think the quilt has warmer colors overall and the grey is very cool.

13. I love bar quilts! Especially scrapy ones! There easy to make mechanically and the fabrics just seam to design themselves! cheers, cw

14. Jenny says:

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

15. It is amazing to see it grow and to see the empty bin, too!! Good job! Vic in NH

16. quiltSwissy says:

Lynn Roddy Brown says to use purple for quilts with all these colors and patterns inside them! Imagine that, purple! but it works!

glen in Louisiana

17. ane says:

Un trabajo muy divertido, yo primero pondría un marco negro de 3″ y para terminar el borde de granate de 6″

saludos

ane

18. Angie says:

I think black or a dark color for the inner border would bring the focus back to all of the great colored strips. The grey seems too light.

19. Teresa says:

I really like this! I agree with using a different, darker color for the borders. The gray washes it out to me. That is just my opinion though. I may have to make one of these!

20. Dawn Caines says:

Wow love this, have just sat pressing and cutting out strips from my scrap bag ready to sew tomorrow !! will be great in the caravan :)
    Think i agree with the darker colour boarder :)

21. Chris - WI says:

bright “HOT PINK” inner border & the grey outer border, oh yahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

22. gail says:

The grays are too blah. I think a dark for the outer border, and a second dark, but a bit lighter, for the inner border.

23. gail says:

Here’s another thought: A jewel tone blue, like the blues in the top middle of the quilt for the outer border, and a hot pink for the inner border.

24. I actually love your string quilt just as it is right now! A red inner border could be fun and make all the brights pop a little, but then again pretty much any colour would be fine. You can never go wrong with a scrappy quilt, can you:)

25. Elna Munro says:

I go with the dark grey outer border but a red inner border will do the trick. You are getting so much advice will just have to go with your gut feeling.

26. Shari says:

This is so full of stringy scrappy wonderfulness. I love it.

Deep purple, red or black for an inner border I think. Grey is just too soft next to all that colour.

27. Lorraine Shergold says:

Definitely Yellows for a narrow border, then how about joining lots of small pieces together to make a random coloured binding, I do this quite often with multi- colour quilts and it seem to give them some uniformity.

28. Carol says:

Think fast…what was your favorite color when you were a child? That is the color you should use for the border…as it will bring back happy memories every time you see it.

29. Laurie says:

I know others have said yellow and blacks.. I like red as an inner border… just my opinion.

30. Liz says:

This reminds me of what my mother called her “string quilt”. She made it almost 65 years ago and it was all done by hand. No piece was longer or wider than my middle finger. She sewed those tiny string pieces on small blocks and then put the hundreds of blocks together. Of course, I was too young to actually remember how she did it, but one could easily see how it was put together. She won a blue ribbon at the Alabama State Fair the year she finished it. I work with CASA kids and coordinate Christmas every year for those who need sponsors. Last year several little girls received American Girl dolls from their sponsors so this year I am making quilts for all of them, using small strips and squares. from my scrap bags.

31. Johanna Zweden says:

I love your quilt! I also use my scraps for charity quilts.
    Greetings from Sweden

32. Pat says:

yellow of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments are now closed for this blog post.
Need help? Contact me!