My Postage Stamp Quilt

It started as this, 50 or so lonely 2″ squares in a box:

the-start

Cutting scraps, it became this, about 150 squares:

postage-stamp-quilt-fabrics

Not enough! So back in January 2010, I asked quilting friends around the world to exchange squares with me. Then I had this:

postage-stamp-fabrics

And the sewing began:

working-on-blocks

The first 16 blocks:

postage-stamp-progress

Time to open Electric Quilt and plan the design:

drawing postage stamp quilt

Fourteen more blocks needed to complete the quilt. More sewing, ironing, pinning:

52 strips

Blocks complete, time to add the sashing strips:

postage-stamp-quilt-row

Two rows attached:

The completed top, so far:

top-done

Pretty colours:

pretty-colours

The scrappy back:

back-postage-stamp-quilt

The details:

• 2″ cut squares, finishing at 1.5″
  • 8×8 rows per block, or 64 squares, finishing at 12″
  • 30 blocks = 1,920 squares
  • Missing from photos: 3″ light green border still to be added
  • Sashing strips and cornerstones finish at 0.75″, cut at 1.25″
  • Finished size: ~70″ x 83″
  • Back is 72 – 10″ (finished) squares

I have been called both crazy and insane this weekend as I’ve shared the photos on Facebook and Twitter while putting this top together. I’d have to agree.

Even though it hasn’t been quilted and bound yet, I have no doubt this will be my favourite quilt for many years to come.

I’m not sure how it happened, but this is what’s still in my box of 2″ squares:

squares-leftover

I think they multiply as I sleep! I’m going to have to come up with another pattern for using these up, but that’s for another year!!

Linking up this post here:

Posted: March 25th, 2012

Topics: My Quilting Journey, Quilt Gallery

37 Responses to “My Postage Stamp Quilt”

1. Fabulous post! I love scrap quilts especially simple ones.

2. Jackie says:

Just beautiful! Fabulous post!

3. carrie bake says:

I love your work u truly inspire me to keep going*****=)

4. Lise says:

WOW…love it..and that’s a lot of work for sure….amazing work Michelle…I so love scrappy quilts…..

5. Debbe says:

You aren’t crazy nor insane. It is lovely! I must admit, I have a medium flat rate box, full of 2.5″ squares… The 1100 I used for hexagons, didn’t even put a dent in it…

6. sara says:

Love your quilt….it really turned out beautiful…

7. Mary says:

Your quilt is fabulous!!! The blue sashing really sets it off. I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a long time. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

8. Deborah says:

Beautiful! Inspiring! Amazing! Stupendous!!
    Awesome, Michele.
    Bravo!
    Hugs, Deborah

9. Melissa says:

Looks fabulous! What are you going to do with the rest of the squares? A matching one :) Congratulations!!!

10. Annie says:

Love the pictorial and it will be one of your favourites

11. Wow, you have so much patience for these little squares. The quilt shows real beauty though and I can see why it would be your favorite. Thank you for the instructions.

12. What a lot of work! I think it really will end up being one of your favorites ever!

13. Pennie says:

Absolutely lovely quilt. Very inspiring, although it might take me some time to do enough sewing to have enough scraps to make up THAT many small squares. Can’t wait to see the finished quilt.

14. pat says:

Hi I love the quilt.

I making one just like it out of the same size blocks.

It is all scrappy too.
    I keep cutting and sewing too.

15. So many squares. It looks amazing!!

16. Mareenchen says:

Wow, insane indeed! Pretty terrifying amount of work. :)

17. Mickey Kelly White says:

I don’t think that your are crazy or insane ; it’s gorgeous and you are artisitc !! ( there is a fine line between the 2 sometimes !!! ) I love postage stamps quilts but feel I’ll never try one unless I make the stamps a lot bigger !!! Great work ; both sides are awesome , indeed !!!!

18. Laura says:

Love the quilt! All of those squares make it so interesting, and you’ll have fun remembering the exchange everytime you look at your quilt. Wonderful indeed!

19. Deborah says:

FABulous quilt! What a great endeavor! Love it! Take care. Deb.

20. Judy Nichols says:

wow what fun and work at the same time. You’re so very clever and brave to tackle such a project thanks for sharing Judy

21. Love your postage stamp! I just don’t have the nerve…or maybe it’s patience. Great job!

22. This is incredible! I’m working on a postage stamp quilt right now, too, though I’m nowhere near completion yet. Have you checked out the Festival of Scrappiness going on over at Stitched in Color right now? Here’s the link: http://www.stitchedincolor.com/

23. Lotte says:

Wow, that’s fantastic!

24. They surely do multiply while we sleep. Still, quite an accomplishment here!

25. Carla says:

It’s fabulous! Great backing too

26. Patti says:

Absolutely breath-taking!

27. This is definitely an heirloom that will be handed down for many many years. It’s just beautiful. Darn you for adding another “To do” on my list!

28. Joylene says:

What a fab way to use up all those scrappy bits of material, very inspiring.

29. Maggie says:

It looks great. I’ve currently got several hundred – maybe even several thousand 2″ squares (haven’t counted lated). My plan is to make a hexagon quilt with them but I know I’ll have lots left over and so you’ve given me an idea of what to do next! I hadn’t thought of asking others for a contribution – what a great idea!

30. Erica says:

I love your postage stamp quilt! Well done, this is definitely a family heirloom!!!

31. shirley says:

incredible !!! Looks like fun for a beginner, Could we do this for us folks that sign up for as newbys. I have some fabric I will never do anything with but would love some squares.

32. Wow! I saw this a few days ago and loved it, but didn’t realize all the squares came from other quilters! How special is that – wonderful! This will truly be your most priceless quilt.

33. Sandra Courtemanche says:

Thanks for sharing with others,I did make this quilt 2 years ago,when I was a co-ordinator of our quilt guild,everyone was giving me their leftover 2 inch squares,,What to do with them,.Community quilts,AND FIRE VICTIMS,.they were delighted with them.Again thanks for the reminder.

34. I can’t even imagine all this time and work. Beautiful. Congratulations.

35. What a WONDERFUL quilt to lay under and just browse with your eyes the different patches.

Did you know, when you go up and down and all around to focus on different things…you actually are doing an eye exercise designed to strengthen your eye muscles! Yes!!!

I really have to make one of these…need some REAL time with just me, my machine and my stash. Left over??? Make a a couple pillow shams! ;)

Kim ♥

36. Mom says:

It is truly a work of art. I love the colours and the binding. LOL Mom

37. [...] up, I added the green border to my postage stamp quilt. Here it is basted and ready for [...]