Vote Now: Flying Geese

photo-contests

The theme for this week’s virtual quilt contest is Flying Geese. Now it’s time for you to vote for your favourite!!

The winner of this week’s contest will receive a $50 gift certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop.

• Voting is open Friday – Sunday @ 11:59 p.m.
  • One vote per IP address (NOT email address), so have your family and friends cast a ballot for their favourite quilt (from home if you send it to coworkers)
  • Winner announced Monday!

Flying Geese

• Flying Free (44%, 209 Votes)
  • Geometrica (23%, 107 Votes)
  • Flying Geese (20%, 93 Votes)
  • Pacific Migration (9%, 44 Votes)
  • Tulips and Geese (2%, 10 Votes)
  • Buffalo Bill Commemorative (1%, 4 Votes)
  • Going Home (1%, 4 Votes)
  • Geese in the Strawberry Patch (0%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 474

Loading ... Loading ...

Next week’s theme is Faith and Gratitude. I’m looking forward to seeing your beautiful quilts. Get your cameras out! Keep in mind that you may intepret the theme as you see fit. The story you include with your quilt can explain your interpretation.

Facebook, email subscribers and RSS readers: You need to visit the Quilting Gallery blog to vote: CLICK HERE

Posted: May 28th, 2010

Topics: Quilt Gallery, Special Features

Stay connected: Subscribe to our Newsletter

learn-to-quilt-large

19 Responses to “Vote Now: Flying Geese”

1. sophie says:

Are unquilted tops allowed? In the photo, Geometrica doesn’t appear to have backing, batting or quilting.
    .-= sophie’s latest post: The changing of the guard (and the design wall) =-.

Hi Sophie,
    Yes they are allowed. Partially pieced only are not. Thanks for checking.
    Michele

3. Disappointed says:

This is definately more of a popularity contest then a ‘actual’ vote for best quilt. This comment is not directed on this week in general as I have noticed this in the past. Even once when I entered I directed people to the site and asked people to make sure they looked at EVERY quilt and vote for the one they liked the best and bested suited the ‘contest of the week description’ . I even asked people to click on each one so they could see the close up. It’s dissapointing that this contest becomes a popularity contest and not about who did the best. Even two comments I have read on this page say “they don’t think theirs is the best- but please vote for me” and last weeks winner declaring that she didn’t think she was the best either but she had more friends that could vote for her. ……………….Just saying!

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by MishkaOttawa, flowersbyfarha. flowersbyfarha said: "Flying Free" is amazing! @MishkaOttawa http://quiltinggallery.com/2010/05/28/vote-now-flying-geese/ [...]

5. Just Wondering says:

I was just wondering if it was ever a consideration to have the “prize” split up if possible. Maybe instead of the whole prize going to the most voted quilt- maybe half could go to the one voted for and half the prize could go to the quilt chosen by the store or person that donated the prize. I was just wondering since this does seem to be a popularity contest and it would enable the person donating the prize to also have a say in what they think is the ‘best’ one to represent the weeks theme.

6. Khari says:

The point of these competitions is usually to generate traffic for the blog/website, so therefore yup it is a popularity contest ;) Sadly that’s just how polls seem to work online these days.

Also those of us who aren’t experienced quilters, obviously have no idea what quilt is ‘best’ we vote for what catches our eye, colours, simplicity often do this. It does say vote for your favourite, not which quilt is the most technical and well done.

7. Jenny says:

Weird that the most boring piece could possibly have the most votes – compared with Flying Free it is not even worth a second look. It is obviously more a matter of who has the most friends who vote – not at all which is the best quilt. The quilting on Flying Free is spectacular and I am pretty disgusted with this ‘competition’.

Tammy (disappointed and just wondering), thanks for your comments. Every participant has an equal opportunity to invite their family and friends to vote for their quilt. In fact, I encourage participants to do just that. As for sponsors, if they want to donate a second prize to a winner of their choice, that would be up to them to make that decision.

Khari, I have three goals with the weekly contests: 1) to see all the fabulous quilts that quilters from around the world have made; 2) promote a sponsor that’s generously donated a prize; and 3) to drive new traffic to my site. You are correct, visitors are encourage to vote for their favourite quilt, for whatever reason it’s their favourite.

Jenny: Flying Free is currently in the lead. I’m sorry you are disgusted with my weekly contests. I happen to think Geometrica is very unique. In fact, I was inspired by that quilt to work on a mini one I’m doing now with the circular flying geese.

Cheers,
    Michele

9. Mrs C says:

Beautiful quilts ladies! I have not made a quilt yet, but I can appreciate the time & planning that has gone into these works of art. Just beautiful!

10. Well here I am just getting in on the conversation…..a couple answers….Jennifer who does not even have a blog (Quilt…Flying free) is an amazing quilt and I do, but certainly not many followers and not huge, I saw the quilt , contacted Jennifer and asked her if I could blog about it on my blog!!! Mishka has told us right from the beginning to get all our friends to vote!!! Let’s face it, it’s just a little fun and quilting has brought so much fun and sharing into my life , I just wanted to show everybody her quilt, and get more people to see all the things Michele has to offer on hers…Fun Fun Fun!!!
    .-= Ruth Oblinski’s latest post: Sewlmate Sister: Unabashed Lobbying!!! =-.

Ruth: you’ve sent the most traffic to my site this weekend (aside from Google of course). Thanks for promoting the contest on your blog.

12. Great!!! Thanks Michele!!
    .-= Ruth Oblinski’s latest post: Sewlmate Sister: Unabashed Lobbying!!! =-.

13. Linda says:

I’m sorry some people are “disgusted, and disappointed”. I haven’t entered any of the contests, but I love coming here to see what everyone enters. I vote for my personal favorite, which means I vote for the quilt that most appeals to me. I’m not a professional quilt judge, so my votes are simply my own personal preference. This is supposed to be FUN and a way to generate some blog traffic. My goodness, be grateful there’s a contest where all you have to do is enter a photograph and have the possibility of winning a generous prize. I also think it’s rude of anyone on her to denigrate somebody else’s work. I’d rather spend my time expressing gratitude and appreciate than sour grapes. Thank you participants for the eye candy!
    .-= Linda’s latest post: Stash Report Sunday – May 30, 2010 =-.

14. Linda says:

I can hardly wait for next week’s contest with the theme of Faith and Gratitude. I’m looking forward to an end to this week’s negativity and a focus on loving blessings. Thanks Michelle!
    .-= Linda’s latest post: Stash Report Sunday – May 30, 2010 =-.

15. janet says:

I’m so sorry I missed this! I would have entered a flying geese I completed a while baq=ck. Have been too busy and have been a bad bad blogger – see my entry yesterday on http://www.quiltingwithjanet.blogspot.com – I will try to do better!!
    Keep quilting!!
    Janet

16. [...] to Jennifer Wilkins from Australia for winning last week’s Flying Geese quilt contest with her gorgeous Flying Free quilt. Jennifer wins a $50 gift certificate from the [...]

17. Jennifer Wilkins says:

Hello there, thank you, Michele, for running such a great website, where we quilters can post our quilts – a fabulous idea to have a virtual quilt show! I was out at the Waverley Patchworkers Quilt Show on Sunday afternoon, enjoying the wonderful quilts, and having a lovely time chatting with some truly great quilters, then came home to see that I was going rather well in this little contest.

Thank you so much to the people who made supportive comments regarding my quilt, and especially to those who voted for me! I’m using the tremendous energy this has provided, to keep quilting – am working on Oriental 2 quilt – hopefully will have it almost completed tonight.

I’m on FaceBook – where I found the lovely Michele, and this great contest – anyone who wants to come on by and check out some of my other quilts is more than welcome! I think this is the link: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1062054060 – hope that works.

Thank you again, to all who voted for me, to Michele who runs a great website, to Ruth, who will have to be the head of my PR dept., to wonderful quilters everywhere, I am so glad to be part of your community.

I am humbled, and energised,
    hugs,
    Jennifer.
    in Australia.

Hi Jennifer,

I mean to reply to this earlier. Thank you for your lovely comments. I’m very pleased that winning the contest has inspired you and provided the much needed energy to keep doing what we do.

I too want to hire Ruth as my PR rep.

Cheers,