Welcome to the The Learning Center, hosted by Pat Sloan. This year we are touching on all aspects of quilt making including project storage, exploring various quilting techniques and options for finishing up your quilts, and hearing about new products from Quilt Market.
Blog posts are published each Thursday. The upcoming topics are listed below. Our goal is that by the end of 2012 we will have covered most of the basics of quilt making and created a fabulous resource that can be referred to over time.
While Pat is the hostess and organizer for this section, it’s really all about you. Pat will be organizing guest experts, sharing her own experience and links to fabulous tutorials and other useful information. We have having link parties, featured products, Q&A sessions, give-aways and more. We hope you enjoy the Learning Center and that you’ll share your own knowledge and participate.
We’re taking a slight detour from our original learning schedule. Instead of teaching you more about the various quilting techniques, we’re going to jump right in and get sewing over the next few months with the Beginner’s Quilt-Along. We hope you’ll join us and have some FUN! Bonus: you’ll have a beautiful gift completed in time for Christmas too.
Quilting: Back to Basics and Beyond
- Quilting Terminology
- Quilting Types and Styles | Bonus: ATC Tutorial
- Getting Started: Basic Quilting Tools, Reference Books and Standard Quilt Sizes
- Fabric Styles
- What to look for in a Sewing Machine
- Tutorials: How to Bind Your Quilts By Machine or Hand
- Recommendations: Not So Basic Quilting Tools
- The Pieced Quilt Block
- More Quilting Styles â€“ Embroidery, Crazy Quilting, Sashiko
- Quilting for Charity
- An Overview on Fusibles
- Quilting History
- News from Spring Quilt Market
- Organization 101 a la Pat Sloan
- A Space of your Own – Share your “before” photos
- Project Management & Storage Tips
- From our Guests: Creative Ideas and Tips for Storage
- More Studio Organization Tips and Guest Carrie Nelson
- Fabric Storage Tips and Share your stash to Win!
- Ideas for Magazines, Books & Patterns and Digital Storage Solutions
- Thread Storage, Wrap Up Studio Organization Series and Give-Aways – Share your AFTER photos
Upcoming Topics for Fall 2012
- AppliquÃ© Techniques – October 2012
- Foundation Paper Piecing and English Paper Piecing
- Embroidery/Stitchery, Crazy Quilting and Sashiko
- Tools, etc. – What’s new from Fall Quilt Market
- Borders, Batting and Basting
- Finishing Techniques
Invite Friends to The Learning Center