Block Library – #1 Summer Nights

Block Library - Free Quilt Block Tutorials

I am so excited to share with you the first free block tutorial in my new series Block Library.

Block Library is my own personal challenge for me to piece at least one block a week, in two sizes. Blocks are inspired from the past as identified in Jinny Beyer’s The Quilter’s Album of Patchwork Patterns.

#1 Summer Nights

The first block is Summer Nights. I adore this block, even if it does have 32 pieces in it. My scrappy version is the one I made at 6″ square. Working at a small scale with so many pieces is a challenge.

Here are my two versions.

summer-nights-c

summer-nights-p

Below are some layout options. I really like the on-point layout (second option). Which one is your favourite?

version-1

version-2

version-3

Share your completed blocks in our Aiming for Accuracy Facebook Group. Don’t miss a free tutorial, subscribe to my weekly newsletter.

Posted: April 27th, 2014

Topics: Free Projects, My Quilting Journey, The Learning Center

15 Responses to “Block Library – #1 Summer Nights”

1. Bev Gunn says:

Like the scrappy one best-but no way I am making that baby in a 6″ version! Plus, I use up more fabric if I make the 12″ block….Trying to reduce some of the scraps around here so I can play with my yardage! :)

2. Alex Gee says:

I’m with you! 6 inch blocks in a scrappy! :) thnx for the tut, love your work !!

3. I adore the 2nd option on point also

4. Mary says:

I like the first version! Love your batik block colors.

5. carla bynum says:

HI!!!!! More fun!!!! Thanks Michele!!!!! Beautiful blocks!!!!!

6. Susana says:

How can I down load #1 Summer nights pattern?

7. MarleneC says:

Really like this block–thank you so much.

8. Carolyn says:

Hi Michele, I simply love this pattern too. Thank you so much. It will be a fun block for scraps!

9. Quilting Tangent says:

Great to see different versions of the same block. Looking forward to the next lessons.

10. Carol Hyatt says:

Thank you Michele for this fun block, good way to use some of my stash.

11. Susan says:

I like the non-scrappy version best and I like it on point the best too. I am always amazed at the completely different look of a block when you change up the fabrics used and also when you lay them out differently.

12. kim fryer says:

Love the blocks looking forward to using it and to the next!

13. […] but have selected a different web site and pattern from “The Quilting Gallery.” Called “Summer Nights,” it promises to be much easier to work through. I’m thinking that I’ll need to add […]

14. Rhonda L. Morrison says:

Love your blocks, thank you. I received #1 Summer-Nights and #3 Prairie-Queen, i didn’t get #2. Was curious about that. Thank you

15. […] I’ve been a fan of Michele Foster’s Quilting Gallery for years. Earlier this year (2014), she started a new series, Block Library, featuring blocks she would make in both 12-inch and 6-inch sizes. In an effort to use up some of my scraps, I’m following along. I’ll be posting my blocks here, but you’ll need to visit Quilting Gallery for the actual patterns. The first block is Summer Nights. […]