Grab yourself a pencil and some paper as it’s voting time for this week’s Quilters’ Show & Tell event. The theme is Quilting Close-Up. For this week, I asked for photos that highlighted the actual quilting.
This week’s guest judge is Emily from The Caffeinated Quilter. She’ll have 100 bonus points to assign to up to four quilts.
Give-Away from Quilts by Jen
Hi! I’m Jennifer Houlden from Quilts by Jen and I am just thrilled to be this week’s sponsor on the Quilting Gallery. I am a textile artist, quilt designer, pattern writer and quilting blogger. I live with my husband, 1 dog and 2 cats in a rural community outside of Barrie, Ontario. I have been very fortunate to live in a variety of places like Yellowknife in the Canadian Arctic and Roxby Downs in the Australian Outback, which have provided a lot of inspiration for my quilt designs.
My design career began with Arbee Designs while living in Australia and I continue to design and distribute for them. When I moved back to Canada a couple of years ago I created Quilts by Jen and began creating and publishing patterns under my own label.
While I love every aspect of quilting, I become really excited about choosing fabrics and colours and designing with appliqué to create a sense of depth and movement within my designs. This past year I developed a technique incorporating Bargello and appliqué to create stunning flowers such as this sunflower:
When I was living in Australia I designed Santa Sacs to use instead of stockings. The sacs all have colourful appliquéd designs such as Santa, a reindeer, an angel, a star and a few different snow people. These personalised Santa Sacs were hugely popular in Australia and I now have them all available as patterns or custom orders.
Just before New Year’s, I was challenged by a friend to a 365 Day Blogging Challenge. Yes, 365 days – in a row. With less than 2 months to go, yes, I think I might be a little crazy! This has certainly been very challenging but right from the beginning my husband and I decided that if I was to succeed I needed to have a theme for every day of the week. Out came the brainstorming tools and we created a series of topics like Technique Tuesday and Free Motion Friday. With each day having a separate theme this has created a huge resource of information for quilters and artists.
I enjoy teaching and sharing the knowledge and skills of quilting that I have. It is wonderful to see my students grow and learn in the classes that I teach. Yes, on top of all of this, I also present trunk shows and workshops to quilt shops, guilds and groups of quilters all over.
Weekend Special for this weekend only – Spend $20 or more on Quilts by Jen patterns from my web site and receive an additional pattern free (free pattern excludes Purely Canadian). Pick the pattern yourself and put the name of the pattern in the notes window when you check out on my site or leave the notes blank and I’ll choose one of my favourites for you.
The prize this week includes two patterns – a Santa Sac pattern and a Peppermint Candy pattern. The quilter with the most community votes and guest judge points will win one set as well as one person that leaves a comment below.
To enter the give-away: Visit Jen’s pattern page, then leave a comment below answering “Which Santa Sac is your favourite and if you were to make one who would it be for?”. I am making the Santa Sac for my youngest niece Alice and the Rudolph Sac for my eldest niece Lucy. You have until Monday, November 11th, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. to enter.
This Week’s Quilts
Here are this week’s Quilting Close-Up Photos:
Please note: if you are viewing this post via email or your RSS reader, you’ll need to click through to the blog post to see the quilts and vote.
Now it’s time for you to vote for your favourites!
- Voting is open Friday to Monday, November 11th, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. (EDT)
- One vote per person (based on IP address NOT email address), so have your family and friends cast a ballot for their favourite quilt
- Winner announced next week
How to Vote:
- Review the photos above and make a note of your favourites. You can select up to FOUR favourites this week.
- Below, you’ll see the names of all the quilts with a square button beside each one. Select the buttons for the quilts you want to vote for. Then scroll down, all the way, until you get to the bottom of the list of quilt names. Press the vote button.
- Spinner (28%, 80 Votes)
- Fiorabella (28%, 79 Votes)
- Scrappy Squares (27%, 76 Votes)
- Moose Madness (20%, 57 Votes)
- White Quilt for Kate (18%, 50 Votes)
- The blues (16%, 45 Votes)
- Appalachian Spring~To God Be The Glory (15%, 42 Votes)
- Linen Doily .... (13%, 36 Votes)
- Maggie's flowers (13%, 36 Votes)
- Just doodling (12%, 34 Votes)
- Red and Green Traditional Applique (11%, 32 Votes)
- Colours (11%, 30 Votes)
- Red, White, and Blue for Christopher (9%, 26 Votes)
- Kid's drawing baby quilt (9%, 26 Votes)
- Christmas Dresden Plate (8%, 23 Votes)
- Block of the Month Batiks (7%, 20 Votes)
- Oriental expressions (6%, 16 Votes)
- We Gather Together (6%, 16 Votes)
- Hexagons (5%, 15 Votes)
- Summer Fun (5%, 14 Votes)
- All Seasons Basket - Christmas (5%, 14 Votes)
- Loopy Knots (4%, 10 Votes)
- Marcia's Barn Quilt (3%, 9 Votes)
- Salt Water Bargello (3%, 8 Votes)
- Potpourri (2%, 7 Votes)
- Strippy Firefly (2%, 7 Votes)
- Rose Quilt (2%, 6 Votes)
- Pick Up Sticks (2%, 6 Votes)
- Scrap Happy (2%, 6 Votes)
- Feathered Crosshatch Charity Quilt (2%, 5 Votes)
- Smowman Wall Hanging (1%, 4 Votes)
- Pastel Whirlygigs (0%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 285
Next Week’s Show & Tell
The theme for next week’s Quilters’ Show & Tell is Remembering Veterans. This can be a quilt you’ve created in memory of a veteran or a quilt created for a veteran (such as Quilts of Valor). Please don’t submit a quilt you’ve already entered in the past… let’s see something different!
Read the Guidelines and submit your photo before Thursday, November 14th, 2013 at 8:00 p.m. (EST).
There are no more sponsorship opportunities left for 2013. The themes and dates for 2014 will be available in December.