It’s Week 7 of our Celebrate Christmas Quilt-Along. I hope you are enjoying our quilt-along as much as I am.
Super Deal from the Fat Quarter Shop
Fat Quarter Shop is the online quilt store with the best and widest selection of yardage, fat quarter bundles, specialty cuts, quilt kits and patterns. We also offer access to many wonderful quilt clubs, block-of-the-month programs and exclusive projects.
Most of all, we pride ourselves in our top-notch customer service, with friendly, knowledgeable representatives and speedy same-day shipping. Our user-friendly web site makes it easy to find the collection, designer and even the theme you are seeking. Fat Quarter Shop has all you need for your next project, so start shopping with us today!
Today’s Super Deal:
50% Off Lil’ Rascals by Chloe’s Closet for Moda Fabrics. Enter code LILRASCALS at checkout. This deal expires Monday, October 31st at midnight CST.
Get your Super Deal Savings here!
Featured Designer: Susan Cook
What is your quilting style?
I would say my style is whimsical. I don’t consider myself an art quilter but I do hope that others who make my designs display their quilts with pride of accomplishment whether it be on a wall, table or even a bed.
How did you get started quilting and/or designing?
I took a class in paper piecing and realized it was the perfect technique for me. As soon as I finished the class, I wondered if I could draw a picture in fabric using this technique so I bought a tablet of graph paper and started drawing using the grid as a guide. My first design was a snowman quilt I called And In The Meadow. When I took the quilt with me to the quilt shop to find a fabric for the scarf and the binding I was told by the employees I should turn it into a pattern and Larkspur Lane Designs was born.
Do you have a favourite quilt?
My favourite quilt is usually the one I am working on at the time the question is asked. I am always excited to see how a quilt turns out and I learn something even from the ones I don’t always love when they are finished.
Quick and fun questions:
- Favourite colour: I don’t have a favourite color! I love all colors!
- What part of the quilting process do you like the most? I love to design but I have had to stop myself and start sewing out some of my designs. I have dozens of designs in my computer using nothing but original blocks. Some people think quilts are only made with squares, rectangles and half square triangles so I purposely don’t use them in my designs.
- What part of the quilting process do you dislike the most? The actual quilting process is very stressful to me and so I choose to leave that part to a professional most of the time. I know the work I put into designing and making the quilt top and worry about ruining it at the end.
- Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, or: What a silly question! CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE
- Favourite super hero or comic book character: I don’t have one. My heroes are real people in my life. My husband who is my best friend and the most amazing dad ever, my other best friends who love me no matter what, my children who drive me crazy most of the time but really shine when I need them to.
- Most exciting place you’ve travelled: I would have to say going to Cuerna Vaca in Mexico twice when I was in my twenties. One of my best friends had gone there alone when she was 18 and lived with a Mexican family while she went to school to learn Spanish. She asked if I would like to go with her and we had so much fun the first time we went again 2 years later with a couple more friends. We only got to spend about 10 days each time but we learned so much and met so many wonderful people that it is something I hope my children have the chance to do someday. This is REAL Mexico and it was nearly impossible to find someone who spoke English. The experience made me more aware and empathetic of how difficult it can be for someone to come to the US and not be able to communicate.
- Favourite quote or mantra: Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. – Dr. Seuss
This saying really hit home when I lost one of my best friends to MS recently. She was an amazing person who never once said "Why me?" She was my second cousin by blood, my aunt by adoption, my sister, my friend. She taught me to never feel sorry for myself and to never give up. She was only here for 45 years but she touched a lot of lives in those years and inspired us to do our best, always.
Block 19 – Sue’s Paper Snowflake
Share Your Photos
Upload your completed blocks to our Flickr group for a chance to win some adorable buttons from Button Mad – Incomparable Buttons. One winner for each of our quilt-along blocks will be randomly chosen. You have two weeks to complete Sue’s Paper Snowflake block to be eligible to win.
Congratulations to the Week 4 button winners:
- Block 10 – Happy Little Trees – Mona’s Creativity
- Block 11 – Sweet Sue Tops the Tree – Liljabs
- Block 12 – Christmas Angel – Cherry’s Material Obsession
Please share the Quilt-Along graphic on your own blog. The more participants, the more FUN!
Download Five FREE Quilt Block Tutorials:
Stay in touch ... Join my NEWSLETTER: