Happy Canada Day!! It is the best day of the year here in Canada’s national capital of Ottawa, Ontario. I’ll be heading out soon to take in the festivities, spend some time with friends, maybe catch a glimpse of the Royals, and probably partake in a few beers too. Oh, and the fireworks tonight, a fantastic display of gorgeous colour; they never disappoint.
Here’s what the live cam for Parliament Hill looked like at 7:50 am this morning. Wow, there’s a lot of people already there, staking out their spots. In case you’re wondering why everyone is only on one side, on the left side is where they do the changing of the guard ceremony. I think the parade, that I can hear getting ready off in the distance, might arrive in that area too.
A crappy photo, of the Snowbirds flyby yesterday afternoon. They swooped up and over the Hill, which is the direction my apartment faces. Not sure why there’s a plane missing.
A few seconds of a video I shot of them a few years ago.
To my Canadian friends, I hope you have a wonderful Canada Day. To my American friends, celebrating later this weekend, Happy Independence Day.
Now on to this week’s contest…
Weekly Quilt Contest
Grab yourself a cup of coffee and browse the gorgeous Patriotic Quilts for this week’s themed quilt contest. With so many beautiful quilts to choose from, I know we’ll all have a difficult time picking just one favourite, so this week you can pick three favourites.
Our good friends from the Fat Quarter Shop are back as this week’s sponsor and they’ve donated two $25 gift certificates for the winning quilters. Be sure to check out their very well organized pattern page on their web site. They now have PDF patterns that are perfect for when you want to sew "right now" as they are e-mailed to you within minutes.
Now it’s time for you to vote for your favourites!
- Voting is open Friday – Sunday @ 11:59 p.m.
- One vote per person (based on IP address NOT email address), so have your family and friends cast a ballot for their favourite quilt (from home if you send it to coworkers)
- Winner announced Monday!
How to Vote:
- Review the photos and stories below… there are several, so you’ll need to scroll down to see them all.
- Underneath the photos, scroll down, you’ll see the names of all the quilts with a square button** beside each one. Select the buttons for the quilts you want to vote for. You can select up to three quilts this week.
- Then scroll down, all the way, until you get to the bottom of the names of the quilts. Then press the vote button.
** Note: If you don’t see the square buttons to vote, but instead see the voting results, that means someone on your IP Address already voted, or that the voting period has ended, or that you need to refresh the page to see the voting options. Shared IP Addresses are very common in home or work networks.
Please Note: If you are not seeing all of the photos, check your browser settings. Go to view, and text size. Make sure it’s set at medium. If you need web sites to be larger so you can read them more easily, then use the browser’s Zoom function, not the text resize. You can also use the scroll bar above, beside the photos, to scroll and see the hidden ones.
- Old Glory (24%, 108 Votes)
- All eyes on Swiss (21%, 95 Votes)
- Bella's Quilt (15%, 66 Votes)
- God Bless America (12%, 54 Votes)
- Aaron Patriot (12%, 51 Votes)
- Millenium Flag (10%, 44 Votes)
- Patriotic in bits & pieces (5%, 24 Votes)
- United Con-census (5%, 23 Votes)
- Stars and Stripes Allover (4%, 19 Votes)
- Gold Stars (4%, 16 Votes)
- Maple Leaf Runner (3%, 15 Votes)
- The Ribbon (3%, 14 Votes)
- City Old Viet Nam (3%, 13 Votes)
- Veteran's Quilt (3%, 13 Votes)
- They Served - We are Proud of them (3%, 13 Votes)
- Patriotic Sailing (3%, 12 Votes)
- Folded Log Cabin Hearts (2%, 11 Votes)
- For a Soldier (2%, 7 Votes)
- My Little Flag (2%, 7 Votes)
- country star (1%, 4 Votes)
- Patriotic Stars (1%, 3 Votes)
- Patriotic Baby Bow Ties (0%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 443
Facebook, email subscribers and RSS readers: You need to visit the Quilting Gallery blog to vote: CLICK HERE
Next Week’s Contest
The theme for next week’s quilt contest is Friendship Quilts. Get your cameras out and Submit your Quilt Photo.
Sponsor a Weekly Contest
There are only a few weeks left for sponsorship this year: August 22, September 5, October 31 and December 12.