Vote for the “The Ugly Quilt”

ugly-quilt-contest

Please cast your vote below for the “What was I thinking?” – The Ugly Quilt Contest. View all of the submissions (click link below), read the funny stories and make your selection below.

Since this is an Ugly Quilt Contest, please vote for the quilt most deserving of the title “The Ugly Quilt”. Which quilter deserves to win one of the fabulous prizes below for sharing their quilting blunders with us all?

The prizes are:

Thanks to all the contestants; I really enjoyed reading your stories and seeing the quilts. A huge thank-you to the three sponsors for this contest.

Voting will close Sunday July 19, 2009.

One vote per IP address. What this means is, if you share your Internet connection with someone else, such as at work, then only one person will be able to vote from that address. This is in effect to prevent someone from voting multiple times.

“What was I thinking?” – The Ugly Quilt Contest

• My First Quilt, a quilting disaster (20%, 153 Votes)
  • Work of 'eart (14%, 105 Votes)
  • The SEA turned RED with blood (11%, 83 Votes)
  • ADD vegetable quilt (11%, 81 Votes)
  • R's graduation quilt (10%, 75 Votes)
  • Mark's Quilt (6%, 47 Votes)
  • Katydid's binky (4%, 30 Votes)
  • PARA LA TIA SARA (4%, 29 Votes)
  • Beach Quilt (3%, 26 Votes)
  • TJ's Wild & Wacky (3%, 25 Votes)
  • Piano Concerto (3%, 21 Votes)
  • The Turd Runner (3%, 20 Votes)
  • Feedsacks gone bad (2%, 13 Votes)
  • Cardio (1%, 9 Votes)
  • Crazy Daisy (1%, 7 Votes)
  • Stompin Grapes (1%, 7 Votes)
  • Just that my ugly quilt (1%, 7 Votes)
  • Another Scrap quilt (1%, 6 Votes)
  • Leap Frog (1%, 5 Votes)
  • Mystery night quilt - ugly fabric combination (0%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 752

Loading ... Loading ...

Posted: July 11th, 2009

Topics: Quilt Gallery, Special Features

33 Responses to “Vote for the “The Ugly Quilt””

1. Denise says:

I see some beauty in all of them…except “Mark’s Quilt” (sorry!). It’s pretty pathetic. My apologies to the maker, but I just don’t think she hit the “mark” on that one!!

2. Jody says:

Aw! Most of them weren’t that bad, just in need of finding the right person with the right taste. It was fun to look at them and read the stories … we’ve all “been there, done that”. Thanks for the smile.
    .-= Jody’s latest post: Fun and Free – Food and Dress-Up =-.

3. Holly says:

I think a lot of them are very pretty. We are just too hard on ourselves.

4. Catherine says:

I want “Piano Concerto” to hang over my piano, I think it’s beautiful! I love the bright cheerful colors. And My son loved ” Leap frog”. Funny how what one thinks is terrible, another thinks is just great!
    .-= Catherine’s latest post: Progress on feedsack Quilt =-.

I see I’m not alone, I liked the “Piano Concerto” too!
    The heart stamped fabric had good intentions, perhaps just needs some solid colour in it.
    It was hard to vote for the ugly quilt. I wanted to vote for the story. I kept thinking as I read “Been there done that”

6. Sheba says:

These mostly look pretty good to me. I am sorry I missed this contest because I have a real doozy!

7. TC says:

I agree with those who like “Piano Concerto!” Maybe we ugly quilt makers just ought to have a big swap. :)
    .-= TC’s latest post: Coffee does a body good. If you remember to drink it. =-.

8. melanie says:

I think some of them are lovely!
    (but some are most definitely UGLY!)
    .-= melanie’s latest post: It’s coming… do you have a list? =-.

9. Susie says:

TC, swapping could be fun bit I’m sure no one would want the “Work of ‘eart”.
    It might not look too bad but it will cut you to ribbons. Those painted threads are sharp!!!

10. I loved them all. I could see merit in them all. And the piano one! Awesome. That can fall of a truck outside my house anytime and I give it a happy home. I agree with Sandie – I think the story was the deciding factor in my choice!
    .-= Sally Westcott’s latest post: Remaking an old quilt! So sad. =-.

11. Sarahe4e says:

This was so hard having to chose an ugly one when each in their own way is beautiful. I have never seen what could be considered an ugly quilt. Someone, somewhere always likes a quilt no matter what it looks like. I finally choose The Sea Turned Red with Blood just because the title is so gruesome. I would really like to be the owner of that piece of art.

12. Helen from Hobart says:

Piano Concerto
    I LOVE IT. I would love it hanging over my piano.
    Please Please Please send it my way.

PS Most of these quilts are fine – you just need to let them mature a few years. Then drag them out, add border, sandwich and machine quilt as a learning exercise, and if you still cna’t stand them – give them to a refuge. someon who needs love will love them.

13. Virginia Hendricks says:

I think some of the contestants are too hard on themselves. There are a couple there that I’d tell them to send to me, I’d love them! :)

Cardio is pretty, and I’d be happy to take Just that my ugly quilt test

14. Jill Gibson says:

“work of ‘eart” as quilts I love have to be soft & cuddly!!!!

15. Heather says:

Call me crazy, I just don’t think there’s really such a thing as an ugly quilt! Every one of these had some redeeming quality — but I did cast my vote, nonetheless. lol
    .-= Heather’s latest post: Seasons of the Heart April BOM =-.

16. kathy says:

i don’t know much about quilts,but some of these people needs to try another hobbie.

17. Karen says:

some of these quilts are very cute,, agree with the former post that we are often too hard on ourselfs. The veggie quilt looks like it could have been cute if some solid colors had been added to it, make it less busy

18. Anita says:

How do U vote — can’t find a place to place my vote..

Hi Anita,

The poll to vote is on this page… above.

If all you see are the results, then someone from the same IP address already voted.

Cheers,
    Michele

20. Sophia Aster says:

What a fun idea for a contest! I saved myself from an ugly quilt when I first started sewing because I could not bring myself to even sew the pieces together after I’d cut them out.
    .-= Sophia Aster’s latest post: Blog & Logo Redesign =-.

21. I thought some of the quilts were great!! Okay and some were NOT so great…

I really liked and would like to own the music quilt. My husband teaches at a music school that is non for profit.
    I have donated a quilt for raffle to help raise money and the winner donated it back to the school to hang.. That piano quilt would look so good in that school.
    Arnevik Joann please email me.
    americanmadequilting@gmail.com
    Piano Concerto
    By: Arnevik Joann, Minnesota, USA

22. wendy says:

Ok, I never laugh out loud at anything on the web, but OMG when I saw the heading “The Turd Runner” I laughed a huge belly laugh for like a minute! I wish I could vote for it, but it’s just not that ugly.

Wow, that ADD vegetable quilt really is hard to look at, even in a photograph! I literally cannot look directly at it, like the sun. And the purple frog quilt really is ugly, but I don’t know if it’s the ugliest of all.
    .-= wendy’s latest post: And this is just the CENTER of the top! =-.

23. Lis says:

Well done to all who entered – I think we can all own up to some less than beautiful work but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like to appreciate the work and effort and ideas that went into these quilts, they all started so well!!
    .-= Lis’s latest post: Anna Millea =-.

24. Robin says:

Isnt it funny how perceptions are different?

i personally think several of the quilts are stunning and love them- no way do i think they should be in the ugliest contest

my favs (in no particular order)

Cardio
    Katydid’s binky (love this)
    Leap frog
    Piano Concerto

25. Joyce Mullis says:

Piano Concerto should not be in this competition at all! I would gladly give this to a pianist and I know they would gladly receive it! R’s Graduation, however, is just lackly SO much! Definitely, what was she thinking??

26. [...] Quilting Gallery is having an Ugliest Quilt contest. All quilts were self-nominated so it’s all in good fun! There are only a couple that [...]

27. cynthia says:

Well, I actually thought a few of the quilts were pretty…..some reminded me of my first quilt and then my second quilt LOL

Para La Tia Sara not bad at all!!!!

28. Dar says:

I’m not a quilter myself, but I deeply appreciate the work that goes into them. You ladies are way too hard on yourselves though; we all make dogs once in a while, whatever our craft. Carry on and don’t look back.

29. Cheryl English says:

Well, this was a delightful romp this morning while I drank coffee. Laughing and spilling as I read each story. I have to say, none of these submissions were terrible. The stories were hilarious and candid. Anyway, I’ve seen worse, much worse in my own studio.

Most are finished and that’s a big positive for all these!

30. wendiq says:

What a hoot! I, too, have enjoyed and laughed over the explanations these ladies have given for their reasons not liking their quilts. Some are really hideous…..other’s not so bad. It is in the eye of the beholder.
    Thanks for this morning’s entertainment!

31. [...] (I think!) to the three winners of The Ugly Quilt [...]

32. deb says:

It is funny how the votes went..congrats on the winners that submitted…I guess alot of people like purple..I better finish my “ugly” and get it in a quilt show then. it got almost the less votes.. LOL
    .-= deb’s latest post: a few things going on in the quilt’n room =-.

33. Angela says:

I think the photos probably improve some of them! Anyway how else do we learn what works?

My vote goes to “Turd” ; just as well it wasn’t bigger.